From the Spanish Steps in the Audrey Hepburn classic “Roman Holiday,” to the Vatican City and more, Rome—with its local attractions—has always been a mainstay on many travelers’ bucket-lists around the world. If you’re planning your very first trip to the region, though, here are some of common touristy mistakes you should avoid:
- Not booking tickets online. Lines to the Colosseum, the Vatican and Sistine Chapel can wrap around blocks. You’d end up spending two hours of your day just on the queues alone. Bypass those monstrously lines by buying tickets in advance instead. You’ll have to shell out a little extra for the processing fee, says the Business Insider but given the time you’ve saved, it’s worth it.
- Going during the summer. Spend summer seeing famous, iconic ruins in the world, from the Colosseum Pompeii—the idea sounds enticing enough to make you want to pack your bags and go at a moment’s notice. However, making the trip during June to August can considerably hamper your chances of enjoying a relaxing trip. With so many tourists coming in, you’d feel like cattle wandering in the crowded streets. So choose better dates. Otherwise, you’d have to contend with long lines everywhere, from the restaurants to the sites.
- Not giving yourself enough time. There are plenty of sights to see but rushing from one destination to another isn’t going to help you enjoy these sights better. So take your time. Accept that you won’t be able to see everything. But what you will see, you’ll soak up in 2-4 hours instead of trying to squeeze everything in an hour or two.
- Going around without a water bottle and umbrella. The heat in Rome can have your shirt sticking to your back in no time. Good news , though, is that there are plenty of public drinking fountains around so you can save up on water bottle costs.
- Not going on a tour. Private tours in Rome are one of the best ways to enjoy the local sights. If you haven’t got the time to plan your trip carefully, you might end up wasting too much time getting lost, queuing or asking around. But with tours, all you have to do is show up and someone else will make the rest happen. It’s convenience at its best.
By avoiding these mistakes, your trip should turn into the perfect Roman Holiday. Need travel assistance? Call us at the Italy Luxury Tours.